- Garden For the Brain
- Fruits And Veggies – The ‘Secret’ Of A Long, Healthy Life
- Number One Global Health Concern: Obesity Now Threatens to Overtake Hunger as
- Study: Exercise In Midlife Lowers Risk Of Dementia In Old Age
- For The First Time Food Production Will Be Limited On A Global Scale: USAID Top Scientist
If your canine companion is more family member than pet, you may be in the habit of sharing the foods your family loves with him. Although some people foods are fine in moderation, this is definitely not the case with chocolate. Chocolate can sicken and even kill dogs, and it is one of the most common causes of caninepoisoning
Does chocolate really hurt dogs?
It can, depending on their weight and how much they eat, so be vigilant this Valentine’s Day. Stimulants in chocolate can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, agitation and life-threatening elevated heart rates or seizures.
“Dogs have no off button,” said Dr. Tina Wismer, the medical director of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. “If you or I ate 10 percent of our body weight in chocolate, we’d have the same problems. A 10-pound dog can easily eat a pound of chocolate.”
The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. For a 20-pound dog, 9 ounces of milk chocolate can cause seizures, but it takes only 1.5 ounces of baker’s chocolate, she said.
Signs of chocolate poisoning usually appear six to 12 hours after ingestion, according to The Merck Veterinary Manual.
“Seizures due to toxicity don’t stop unless you treat them,” Dr. Wismer said. So head to the emergency clinic or veterinarian if you come home to find your dog vomiting repeatedly and extremely agitated, and certainly if the pet is unconscious and its limbs are shaking. By contrast, dogs who vomit once and fall sleep can be watched at home, she said.
Unlike cats, dogs like sweets. So it’s best to keep chocolate stored away and off countertops, which are no match for a motivated climber.
Carob treats are a safe alternative for dogs who love the flavor of chocolate. Other common foods that pose hazards to dogs are raisins and grapes. Xylitol, used to sweeten sugarless gum, is also “a big problem” for a pet, Dr. Wismer said, “It actually drops his blood sugar, and he can have seizures.” Catherine Saint Louis.
Different types of chocolate contain different amounts of theobromine: It would take 20 ounces of milk chocolate to kill a 20-pound dog, but only 2 ounces of baker's chocolate or 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate. It is not that hard for a dog to get into something like an Easter basket full of chocolate eggs and bunnies and gobble up a pound or two of chocolate. If the dog is small, that could be deadly.