- 13 Million More Will Be Placed On Statin Drugs With New Cholesterol Guidelines
- 5 Foods For Long Life: 113-Year-Old Man And His Secret To Long Life
- Room Lighting In The Hospital May Worsen Your Mood and Pain
- Speech and Food Freedom Attacked By “Pink Slime” Producer
- Things You Can Do In Your Sleep, Literally
Exercise is the miracle cure we’ve always had, but for too long we’ve neglected to take our recommended dose. Our health is now suffering as a consequence.
Around the time I got married in August 2002, I went from being a pre-K teacher who was always on the go to an assistant who sat for eight hours a day. That was the beginning of my weight gain. Then came the babiesthree in six yearsand a switch to stay-at-home momhood. Still, I couldn't wrap my mind around the pound pileup until Christmas 2011, when I was loading photos onto Facebook. As I compared my old and new pictures, I noticed how chubby I'd become. My first thought: I need to get active right now.
Baby steps Three days later, I began walking for an hour each night. I mapped out a three-mile course that took me through the hills in my neighborhood. In mid-January, I traded my evening walks for 30-minute sessions on the elliptical in my basement. I also added Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred DVD to the mix. Working my way …
Given the overwhelming evidence, it seems obvious that we should all be physically active. It's essential if you want to live a healthy and fulfilling life into old age.